Windows VPS advantages are: Easier to operate than Linux and all Microsoft products and services can be used.
Windows VPS disadvantages: Slower than Linux, less stable and less secure.
Linux VPS advantages are: faster than Windows, better stability and more secure.
Linux VPS disadvantages: More difficult to operate than Windows and you can’t use Microsoft products and services.
What is the best Linux and Windows VPS hosting provider in 2021?
According to us (and many others) the best Linux and Windows VPS provider is Linux Hosts Inc. They are based in the US and UK. It’s our own web host. The company has the LOWEST CANCELLATION RATE in the web hosting industry.
Important Note. Most providers of cheap VPS plans practice overselling. Overselling means putting too many customers on the same server. Linux Hosts Inc. is the only web host with a very strict NO OVERSELLING policy.
Linux vs Windows server performance comparison
Which server is right for you?
It is important to choose the right operating system when you start with your own virtual private server. Linux and Windows operating systems are the options you have here. Several professionals will immediately opt for a specific system, but it’s good to know that there is a huge difference between Linux and Windows VPS. In this article I will explain what you can do with both operating systems. This way you can decide for yourself which one best suits your personal wishes.
Most computer users have experience with the Windows operating system. Microsoft has been working on its showpiece for 30 years now and regularly adds new functionalities. Not only is Windows available for computers and mobile phones, servers can also run with Windows as the operating system. This is very useful, for example, if you want to run websites or services that incorporate Microsoft technology, such as ASP. This is completely separate from your own computer; you can use an Apple computer and still manage a Windows server.
Advantages of Windows VPS.
- User-friendliness – Because the interface of the server version is similar to the version that runs on computers, anyone who has ever worked with Windows can immediately start working on a Windows virtual private server. You can easily connect to the Windows VPS via remote desktop. Connecting via the SSH protocol, something that can be quite a challenge for many novice server administrators, is Linux native and therefore not possible when managing a Windows vserver.
- Support for Microsoft products – With Windows on your VPS you can use almost all technologies that Microsoft has to offer. This means that you can work with ASP.net and Access databases, among others.
- Windows VPS licenses – There are different Windows server licenses that you can install on a VPS. The Windows Servers 2012, 2016, 2019 and 2022 are popular examples. Instead of a Windows server you can also install a Windows client such as Windows 10 or Windows 11. However, keep in mind that you will create a very limited VPS when installing this client.
Disadvantages of Windows VPS.
- Windows is not free – Windows is a Microsoft product that requires a license fee. Therefore, running applications on a Windows virtual private server is far from free.
- Stability – Anyone who uses a computer with Windows on a regular basis knows that there is a good possibility of a crash. This is unfortunately no different with a Windows server. Windows will also often have to restart after an update, so that websites or other services that run on it will be temporarily unavailable.
Applicable URL: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server
Linux is the most well-known open-source platform in the world and has a wide variety of distributions to choose from. Since Linux was originally developed as free software, anyone can view, modify, and distribute the source code. This has brought together a large community of passionate developers who contribute to the Linux ecosystem on a daily basis. The result is a stable platform that server administrators can use extensively.
Advantages of Linux VPS.
- Linux is completely free – Since Linux is completely open source, it can be downloaded and distributed at no cost. Therefore, no license costs have to be paid, something that must be done when purchasing a Windows license. Every user can use one of the many Linux distributions completely free of charge.
- Speed – The Linux operating system is a lot faster than Windows. This is because it requires much less computing power to run processes properly. Furthermore, Linux can perform better under high pressure. This way, hosted websites and other services remain more available and there is virtually no risk of getting stuck.
- Stability and Reliability – Because Linux was developed with stability in mind, you notice this immediately when using it. With a Linux vserver, there is very little chance that you will experience problems caused by an instability within the operating system. The stability of Linux is the main reason for many to use this operating system. Also, a Linux virtual private server can run for years without being rebooted. Even when installing an update, the operating system does not have to be restarted, something that often has to be done with Windows. Instead, it is possible to restart specific services, including Apache or PHP, for example, without negatively affecting other parts of the VPS.
- Excellent Security – Security is an important issue for any server administrator. Designed with a multi-user account model in mind, Linux is better able to protect critical components. For example, someone who has hacked a website on a Linux VPS will normally not be able to affect other parts of the operating system. Linux is also less prone to be infected with malware or other malicious software, something that Windows users can encounter if used carelessly. With an army of developers constantly looking for new vulnerabilities, updates for Linux distributions are released much faster than Microsoft does for Windows.
- Different Linux distributions – There are different distributions (distros) that you can install on a virtual private server. Examples are CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu. Some server administrators will swear allegiance to a specific distribution, but all have their own advantages and disadvantages. This way you have the freedom to choose the distribution that best suits your needs.
Disadvantages of Linux VPS.
- Complexity – Virtually no graphical environment is used when managing a Linux server. Management of a Linux server without DirectAdmin or Plesk is performed exclusively via SSH, using a wide variety of commands. These commands often also differ per Linux distribution, so good research is required to properly take on the task of server administration. In short, this responsibility is not for everyone and should certainly not be underestimated.
Windows or Linux VPS – a conclusion.
So, is Windows server better than Linux or the other way around? As you have read in this article Linux and Windows vServers are made for different target groups and one is not necessarily better than the other. For example, a WordPress website can be hosted on both a Linux and a Windows server. However, the functionalities of the different operating systems differ enormously, as does the operation “behind the scenes”.
Hopefully, on the basis of the above comparison between Windows and Linux VPS you have been able to determine which operating system best suits your personal wishes. If you finally opted for an operating system and are not happy with it, don’t worry at all. You can then always install another operating system (Linux, Ubuntu, Centos, Windows) on your virtual private server (redeployment). Success with your VPS!