VPS vs web hosting.
You hardly need any technical knowledge for a server hosting account. For example, if you want to install WordPress on your website, pressing a few buttons is enough to install WP within minutes. You share the web space with other customers and that makes regular hosting a bit risky. If something unpleasant is going on with one or more other customers, you can suffer damage. Think of hackers, DDos attacks or a customer who violates all kinds of rules, such as spamming. Also, your website is slower than a VPS site and you can’t have too much traffic.
You do not have the above disadvantages with a VPS. This is because the content of your creations is not shared with other customers. So you can count on very fast websites and applications that can have large amounts of traffic and are also a lot more secure than server hosting accounts. However, keep in mind that you also do not have the above advantages. In other words you do need to have some technical knowledge to manage a VPS.
What is the best VPS server hosting provider in 2021?
According to us (and many others) the best VPS server provider is Linux Hosts Inc. They are based in the US and UK. It’s our own web host. The company has the lowest cancellation rate in the web hosting industry. You can order their fantastic VPS servers from $15 per month.
Which is better, VPS or server hosting?
In the world of hosting, you will repeatedly be confronted with various providers using the terms vServer (also known as VPS) and server hosting, which you can rent. But what is the difference between these services and what use cases are they suitable for? In this article, the two options web hosting and vServer will be compared, as they differ in many ways. We will also show you different use cases for both internet services in our comparison.
The web hosting option.
Web hosting is the provision of storage space – the so-called web space – on the Internet so that Internet pages can be stored on the provider’s server. The web server on which the data are stored is online around the clock so that the website can be accessed at any time and from anywhere in the world.
The server on which the site is located is shared with other customers, with each customer receiving the storage space defined in their hosting plan. However, the individual user has no access to the system. As a user of a web hosting plan, you receive storage space and, for example, the necessary network connection. The user does not have to worry about maintenance, technical updates or security updates. The web host takes care of that.
The web hosting account is already pre-configured so that a CMS (content management system) such as WordPress, Joomla or, for example, a desired shop system can be easily installed on the web space with a mouse click. The user does not need a lot of technical knowledge to install the website or a CMS on a web hosting package.
What can you do with server hosting?
A web hosting package is particularly suitable for hosting smaller websites that are not very complex. Especially for projects that are to be implemented on common web applications such as WordPress or Joomla.
The advantages of web hosting:
- Cheap solution. The shared use of the server with other customers reduces costs, so that the web hosting price is usually much lower than with having your own VPS. This way, a website can be built even with a low budget.
- No server knowledge required. The user is not responsible for the installation, maintenance and operation of hardware and software.
- E-mail accounts can easily be created. Web hosting users present themselves professionally online and can, for example, set up their own e-mail inboxes for communication.
- Usually sufficient for small to medium-sized projects.
- User-friendly tools such as CMS systems can be installed with a click of the mouse.
- Domains are usually included or offered at a reduced price.
The vServer or VPS or virtual server.
A vServer is a system that is provided virtualized on a dedicated host server (host system). There are various options for virtualization such as KVM for advanced users and OpenVZ for starters.
Several virtual servers are located on the dedicated host server and share its performance, such as the hard disk, the CPU cores (central processing unit processors for all the calculations) and the main RAM (memory). Of course, you don’t really share a VPS with other customers – only the hardware resources of the host system are shared. Each vServer has defined resources which are set by the hosting provider and which the virtual server alone has. In contrast to web hosting, this is not just a matter of storage space, but of independent instances, which therefore have guaranteed computing power. As a rule, you do not need to worry about security if you pay attention to some basic aspects such as, for example, the installation of a firewall and/or monitoring software.
The vServer has its own IP address, can be used like a “real” server and offers many different options. You can configure and manage the vServer as you wish. You can also restart or shut down the operating system at any time. It is up to you whether you use Windows or Linux, for example. VPS is also known as a virtual root server.
In contrast to web hosting, with vServers it is important that you have a technical understanding and sound knowledge of server administration. Reason: vServers are particularly recommended for more complex and demanding applications than with web hosting.
With your own vServer you can not only host websites, as you can see below, it is available for much more.
What can you do with vServers?
A vServer can be used for different applications and offers many possibilities to implement a wide variety of projects:
- Web server
- Data server
- Email server
- Game server
- Private cloud storage
- Test system
- Calendar and tasks server
- Communication server (VoIP telephony or chat)
- Apps (Applications)
The advantages of VPS:
Operation of any server application
- In contrast to web hosting, many server applications can be installed without any problems. The VPS is in general not restricted by the provider. This is one of the main reasons why many users choose their own VPS.
- Individual configuration options. A web hosting account is provided with a configuration preset by the web host. This is as flexible as possible for all customers. However, special adaptations and the operation of your own server applications are not possible. A vServer, on the other hand, can be configured individually for any needs so that it offers optimal performance.
- Significantly cheaper than dedicated servers. A vServer is significantly cheaper than a dedicated server. In addition, in many cases you can rent a VPS for a month if you only need it for a short period of time.
- Own IP address. In contrast to web hosting, a VPS can use its own IP address.
A vServer can be rented as an unmanaged or managed variant. Note that you usually do not have root rights with a managed vServer.
Server hosting or VPS – a conclusion.
As we have been able to read, web hosting and VPS differ in many ways. The choice of service mainly depends on the type and complexity of a project. If only a company or a project should be presented on a website, a server hosting account is sufficient in most cases. If, on the other hand, you plan to create large projects online, you’d better rent a VPS. This offers you great flexibility, it has more advanced hardware and gives a much better performance and security.
When deciding on a service, it should be taken into account how complex the software is to be used and how many visitors the site will reach. It is important to compare different offers so that you are well informed regarding the available options. Thanks for reading and good luck!