Short Answer (quick read).
The question “is WordPress good” can be answered by taking a quick look at this system. So, here we go:
You could also ask what are the pros and cons of WordPress and the answer is that it all depends on what version of WP are you talking about.
There are namely two WordPress versions: .com and .org.
WordPress.com is not good. Reasons: it’s basically free web hosting without having your own domain name. The Google algorithm doesn’t appreciate that, so you’ll never be able to achieve a high rank in Google. Personally I’ve never seen a WordPress.com site with a high rank in the search engines.
Fortunately, on the other hand, we have the system I love and that is WordPress.org. WordPress.org is what this post will be about. In this article I’ll refer to WordPress.org as WordPress or WP. WP is good for the following reasons:
- Approximately 40% of websites are created with this software. Not any other system is so popular. So, you can rest assured that you’ll make the right choice when you decide to start using this content management system (CMS).
- The system is free. This means that you can download and install the software at no cost when you visit the company’s website. It will enable you to create a website on your own computer at home. However, if you want your site to be visible on Internet, you’ll have to buy a hosting plan from a web hosting provider.
- Most web hosting companies offer a super easy and free one click installation.
- The software makes it very easy to quickly setup a beautiful website. So it’s suitable for beginners. The site you are reading at this very moment is created with the same web builder.
- On the other hand this site building system is also suitable for advanced users. Most users who have knowledge of the programming languages HTML, PHP or CSS, love WordPress and use it on a daily basis.
- The company offers around 60,000 free plugins and approximately the same number of paid ones. Not any other system offers so many plugins. Plugins are mini programs enhancing the basic functionality of software. This greatly increases the possibility of designing a super individual website of which there is no second in the world. Furthermore, all those plugins and their settings make it possible for websites to meet all kinds of complicated or strict requirements.
Is WordPress good at this wonderful Cloud hosting provider?
Yes it is. It’s actually better when you compare it with the plans of other hosting providers. The reason for this is the fact that your website will be hosted in the Cloud. This makes your site faster and there’s no downtime. Moreover, all the technical support engineers of this Cloud provider are WordPress specialists. So that makes things much easier to you if you have a technical issue. Last but not least the company is the only host in the world that has implemented a strict No-Overselling Policy. So, unlike many other hosting providers (especially the large well known companies), the company’s web servers are never overloaded with too many websites. All plans come with an easy drag and drop website builder.
PS. By the way, I use this Cloud Hosting Service myself on a daily basis and I love it!
Hopefully this summary was good enough to answer the question “should you use WordPress“. However, we invite you to read on to learn everything about the details.
What is WordPress good for?
There are many open source platforms on the Internet offering a wide variety of website building options. Some of the most famous ones are WordPress, Drupal, Joomla and Magento. Most systems claim that their platform is suitable for everything. However, the reality is different and each system has its own strengths and weaknesses. This article is about the most popular of them all: WordPress (WP) owned by the company Automattic. This software is good for building websites. It’s an open source system used to create and manage websites, online shops and blogs. The system is free for paying web hosting customers. Thanks to its simple operation, it enables the user to get started quickly. So it is good for beginners. Approximately 40% of websites are created with it. Websites, shops, communities and blogs can be created and maintained with a WP web design. Since this site builder actually is very basic there are many free and paid plugins available enhancing the functionality of the software. The necessary navigation elements are generated automatically. It’s a quick-to-learn system that allows you to easily integrate and customize text, images, video and audio on your website. In short: If you can work with a program like Microsoft Word, then you can also use WordPress to design your own site without the assistance of a web design agency. So WP is good for users who aren’t tech-savvy.
Is WordPress good?
If you ask me what are the benefits of WordPress then I point you to the following advantages:
- As written above the program is intuitive and easy to use for non-expert users.
- Your site is automatically kept up to date with each new version. And, if for whatever reason, it wasn’t updated you’ll receive a notification in the admin area where you can update at the push of a button.
- Plugins. In terms of features, the site builder is simply unbeatable. The large number of plugins makes it possible to integrate every imaginable feature into a website. Shop systems, newsletter generation, event calendars, galleries, security plugins, and spam protection are just a small part of the large range of plugins. If you don’t find what you’re looking for there, you won’t find it in any other system either. There are currently around 60,000 free plugins and a large number of paid ones that can be easily installed. Even old plugins regularly work perfectly. This is absolutely unthinkable with most other content management systems.
- Themes or Templates (the WP design). Even the basic configuration of has an attractive design. In addition, you can select countless other design templates (the so-called themes) in your account, which you can apply to your web project with just a few clicks. However, despite the large selection, there is not always the right theme for your purpose. If that’s the case you could think about having a personal design template developed. It sometimes makes sense to hire an experienced web designer, as a premium theme will immediately catch the eye of your visitors. It can have a decisive influence on the success or failure of your website.
- Easy-to-understand editing functions with the help of a free plugin (more on this later).
- The web standards of the W3C are complied with.
- Multiple editing – authors can work together on a web project.
- Special items can be password protected.
- The comment function of the articles is easy to understand and can be edited or disabled.
- Images, video, and audio can easily be embedded inside text.
- Programming knowledge is not required.
- The software is free and easy to install.
- In addition to creating and managing websites and blog articles, the technique also allows you to classify articles into categories. Metadata and tags can be assigned to each article with user-specific fields. In addition to the dynamic blog function, static websites that are not constantly updated can also be created.
- The media gallery has its own up-loader which is very fast. Moreover this up-loader makes multiple file selection and drag and drop possible.
- The program supports multilingual websites. Plugins can be used to manage multilingual content on individual content pages and posts.
- Multi-site function. This function allows you to run and manage multiple sites off a single installation. This way it is possible to run many sites under a single dashboard.
WP also has some disadvantages:
If you ask me is WordPress easy to use I can point you in the direction of some cons:
- Unfortunately, due to its popularity, it is a prime target for hackers. You should therefore use secure passwords and change them regularly. The company counteracts the existing security problems with regular security updates. Further there is a broad range of free security plugins to fight off threats.
- At the very start you’ll have a lot of work. Although building a WP site is relatively easy, there’s a lot of preparation to do before you can start your site creation. Before anything else everything must be properly configured, plugins installed, a theme selected and a navigation structure created. Also, at the beginning it’s best to check all settings multiple times so you can be 100% sure that nothing is forgotten or misconfigured.
- Your username can’t be changed. The installation requires you to set a username. This should be done correctly right away as it can’t be changed after setup.
- Creating and editing a post is difficult with the standard editor named “Gutenberg”. It works with blocks and this system is not easy to understand and work with. I therefore recommend to install the free plugin “Disable Gutenberg”. After installing and activating this plugin you will be pleasantly surprised by a very easy editor. I use it myself and am very happy with it.
- If you make a change in the existing theme it will be erased when there’s a theme update. I therefore recommend to create a so called child theme with the help of a free plugin called “Child Theme Configurator” which I use as well. Now your modifications will not be deleted even after a theme update.
- SSL (https) is not automatically implemented for your domain name even if you’re using free or paid https in your web hosting account. For this reason I recommend the installation of the free plugin “Really Simple SSL”. It works great and that’s why I use it myself.
- Images are not automatically optimized. Thus it’s recommended to use the free plugin “Short Pixel Image Optimizer”. It will significantly speed up your site. It’s one of the reasons why the web site you are visiting now, loads fast and ranks high.
- The software misses a good cache system which is also important for site speed. For this I recommend using the free plugin “W3 Total Cache” in combination with the free plugin AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages). The beautiful thing about AMP is the fact that Google itself will keep a cache of your pages so they load super fast in their search engine which is good for your rankings. The site you are reading now also uses AMP. That’s why you found it on a high position in Google.
I can say that WP has a fantastic range of configuration options. This enables you to change any configuration you want. For example:
- The program is installed with default settings that should be changed. First you should look at the general settings. The site title is prefilled there and there’s a tagline that should be filled in. Further there’s a test comment that needs removal. To do this simply click on the comments menu and delete the unwanted comment. Also take a look at the time zone settings and correct them if necessary.
- The next setting item is the “Read” menu. There is specified if the homepage displays as a static page or as a list of new posts. This setting depends on what you want to do with your site. Under the menu item “Read” you will also find the setting for search engine indexing. If search engine indexing was switched off during installation, it can be switched on again there.
- Theme selection. Themes are interchangeable layout templates and you can change the look of your site very quickly and easily. This works good because the programmers very consistently separate layout and programming. To activate a new theme, it must be uploaded to your own web space. Now you can see the layout template in the admin area as a small image and click on it to display a preview. By clicking on “Activate” the layout will be visible to your visitors. Of course, you should first test in the preview whether you like it or not and if everything is displayed correctly.
- Content, navigation and review of the site. Once all configurations have been carried out, the plugins installed and the theme set up, your content can be entered. This also includes the creation of a navigation. If everything is set up as desired, it is now time to go through the page carefully. Something is quickly overlooked with the many settings. You should therefore go through all the settings once again and see if everything has been selected correctly. Take a look at your installed plugins. Do they work as they should? Are there any conflicts or maybe even better solutions? It is easy to overlook an important detail. Finally, when you’re happy with your site, don’t forget to turn search engine indexing on in the Reading settings. This is the only way your website can be found on the Internet.
How difficult is WordPress?
The program is relatively easy as long as you understand the following terms:
- Front end and back end.
Especially if you’re just getting started you should know these two terms. They mean nothing more than the front and back. What may sound confusing at first, actually makes sense. Your website visitors see the front end area. Only you can see the back end area. This area is protected with your personal password and user name. Alternatively, the back end area is also often called the administration or admin area. Here you can manage your website, create pages, create new articles etc.
- The dashboard.
The dashboard belongs to the back end area. When you enter this area, you first get to the home page of the back end. This is the dashboard. This area can also be set up individually by you. Showing or hiding of individual elements is possible. All you have to do is press the button called “Screen Options” at the top. There you can choose which fields should be used in your own dashboard. There’s also a drag and drop option.
A website cannot be designed without a theme. Therefore, a standard version is already installed. If you want to change the theme, you have to go to the admin area under the menu item Appearance – Themes. The theme can be changed there. In this way, the website can be designed more personally. There are both free and paid themes to choose from.
Widgets allow your website to be designed in a more varied way. These are additional areas. They usually contain sub-information. For example, you can create a link to your Facebook or Twitter account. So the system provides the widget area for this. Here you can select the appropriate widgets and provide them with the desired information. The widgets can be found in the admin area under Appearance – Widgets.
Plugins are very useful to enhance basic functionalities. To get to the plugin search function, all you have to do is go to “Plugins” – “Add new” and search. Once you found the ideal plugin, it will allow you to integrate new functions on your website. For example this can be a contact form to be placed on your contact page. And with multilingual websites, a plugin can enable switching between different languages. Or spam protection can be implemented using a plugin. There are now around 120,000 plugins and therefore almost unlimited additional functions. Of the approximately 120,000 plugins, over 60,000 can be used free of charge.
- What are plugins and widgets more specifically?
Plugins and widgets are extensions that make the content management system more flexible and powerful. WP itself is very basic and quickly programmed, so you need additional components such as plugins and widgets in order to be able to adjust the system to your needs. The basic configuration of the content management system already includes some free plugins and widgets, such as a plugin to combat spam or a widget for author information. Plugins and widgets are anchored in different places in the administrator interface. Plugins have their own menu item because they can be much more complex in scope; Widgets are design elements that can be defined, set and modified as sub-items of themes. That’s why they can be found under “Appearance”. Plugins and widgets can be used for very different tasks. Some additional components from the range of plugins and widgets are only relevant for the administrator interface to make working with the software more convenient. However, most plugins and widgets also have an effect on the visitor interface of the website. The use of plugins and widgets is now organized very conveniently. In the past, plugins had to be unpacked manually and then uploaded to the server so that they could be activated via the administrator interface. Today you can integrate plugins and widgets directly via the administrator interface, after which the installation takes place automatically. Almost all good plugins and widgets are distributed through your own hosting account. However, it is also possible to use external sources to obtain plugins and widgets, but then there may not be sufficient assurance that the software will do exactly what you want. Last but not least you can also create your own plugins and widgets or, if you don’t have the technical knowledge, hire a specialist to do that for you. As you can see, the possibilities are endless. And that’s exactly what makes the process so good.
- Posts vs Pages.
The term sidebar sometimes confuses users. This is an extra area next to the main content of the website. This area can be either left- or right-aligned, or it can be placed on top or at the bottom. This way the entire view doesn’t look too overloaded. You can find sidebar settings under “widgets”. The widgets themselves can also be placed in the sidebar
WP is built on being updated regularly. This also applies to the installed plugins and themes. These must always be kept up to date. Otherwise the website is not adequately protected against threats. In the dashboard you can see when it is time for the next update. It’s also possible to enable automatic updates. I always do this.
- Database. The database stores all the necessary website data. Not just basic information such as passwords and usernames but also pages, posts, comments, themes, all configurations etc.
Why is WordPress popular?
- When optimized correctly by you your site will be fast. The speed at which web pages can be viewed is important – especially for search engines such as Google. In contrast to some other content management systems, the platform runs quickly and reliably on most hosting packages.
- Good for search engines. Google likes websites that are well optimized for speed. The faster your site, the higher your Google ranking will be. Your website will rank higher especially if you are using an AMP plugin. AMP stands for Accelerated Mobile Pages. These pages are cached in Google’s search engine itself hence the much higher speed. A cache is the temporary storage of a web document just like your browser caches websites.
- The company has a large and active community that reacts quickly to errors in the software and this enables them to rectify them very fast. And the help forums will help you if you encounter any technical problem that can’t be resolved by your web hosting provider or the owner of a plugin. The fact that the system always has a backdoor to a solution is one of the many reasons why I love this software!
- Customize site on the go. The company offers an app to manage your website on the go. Whether you want to customize your website on the go with an IOS or Android system, it’s no problem. New post entries can even be uploaded to the system via email.
- As said before, we are talking about free software. The software was developed as open source and can be used freely. So there are no costs for you if you want to use it except the web hosting fee.
- Integration of social media. Connecting your website to Facebook, Twitter or Linkedin is no problem. The integration of Flickr photos and YouTube videos is also extremely easy. This not only makes your website attractive, but also ensures that visitors come to your site via social media.
- Responsiveness. The CMS guarantees the optimal display of your website on smartphones, without the need of HTML, PHP or CSS knowledge.
- Again: Plugins. Sorry, I really can’t get enough from all those beautiful mini-programs! Numerous plugins allow additional functions for your website. Plugins are small programs that enable attractive or necessary extensions of the functionality of your website. Examples are popups, popunders, newsletters, contact forms, integrated audio or video players – and much more. There are currently approximately 120,000 plugins. And best of all: Many of these powerful mini-programs are free – like almost everything from this platform. My goodness . . . . I really love them!
- On-Page SEO. Search engine optimization is just as important for websites today as content, design and programming. Here the on page optimization (the optimization of the page itself) is already included in the software. The reason for this is the developers’ view that the platform must be designed in such a way that Google has no problem when analyzing the content. The company knows that every website owner wants his or her online content to be found as quickly as possible and to rank high in the search engines. The special thing about is this: Every time you put a new article online, Google is notified with a “ping”. This short signal is sent so that the largest search engine knows immediately that something has changed. Your new content will then be automatically visited and analyzed by Google robots. After the analysis, the new results are published in the Google search lists. Isn’t that wonderful?
In 2001, Michel Vadrighi developed the b2/cafelog blog system written in the PHP programming language. Based on this system, in 2003 a flexible and easy-to-use blog software was created in cooperation with Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. That was the beginning of WordPress. Matt Mullenweg founded Automattic in 2005, began developing blog services and developed the software further. The company has won several Open Source and CMS awards. And, the CMS has a five star privacy rating from the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
Is WordPress good? A conclusion.
Why WordPress is the best CMS can be deduced from the statistics telling us that approximately 40% of websites is built with this system. As you have been able to conclude, the platform is good for both beginners and tech-savvy customers. Actually we can conclude that it’s the very best website building software in the world. Not only because it’s free and easy. If you use the right plugins with the highest ratings and recently updated, your installation and website will also be fast, reliable and secure. I hope this post convinced you to try this wonderful building software and wish you all the best with your new website and hosting provider. Thanks for reading!