Short Answer (quick read).
The question “how to cancel web hosting on GoDaddy” can be answered by taking a quick look at the procedure. So, here we go:
Several years ago I was a hosting and domain customer of GoDaddy. After about a year of really bad experiences I cancelled my account and never came back.
The best way to cancel GoDaddy account is to follow the company’s official online procedure. You can do this by logging into your account, then cancel all renewals, subsequently delete all your products and, last but not least, remove your credit card or other online payment information from their website. After this is done you will have to wait at least 24 hours before you can permanently close your account. If, for whatever reason, you are unable to follow this procedure you can call or chat with a support representative from 8 am to 9 pm, Monday to Friday. You can visit https://www.godaddy.com/help/contact-us for the company’s phone numbers and chat.
Do this first before cancelling GoDaddy!
I assume that Go Daddy is hosting your website or application. I also think that you would like to put your site or application in the hands of a better web host, right? A hosting company that employs specialists who are able to transfer your application, web site, domain name and email to your new hosting account, completely free of charge. If that is the case then I recommend Linux Hosts Inc. It has been my own website host for years and I am extremely pleased with the fantastic service they provide. As mentioned, they will move your site and everything that goes with it to your new web hosting account completely free of charge. However, this is not possible if you’ve already canceled everything from GoDaddy. This implies that you first have to leave everything intact at Go Daddy and that you first open a new web hosting account at Linux Hosts Inc. or another web host that offers free relocation before canceling Daddy. Only when your move has been completed and only after you have checked whether everything is working properly at the new web host, only then can you initiate the GoDaddy cancellation procedure. So please understand that a new hosting provider will be unable to transfer your files if Go Daddy has already been cancelled. Linux Hosts Inc. is a Cloud hosting provider. This makes moving your website from GoDaddy to them much faster and it practically eliminates downtime. Moreover, this provider is the only one in the world with a very strict No Overselling Policy so they will never place too many sites on the same web server thus eliminating all the problems that GoDaddy and others create for their customers. All plans come with an easy drag and drop website builder.
PS. By the way, I use this Cloud Hosting Service myself on a daily basis and I love it!
Hopefully this summary was good enough to answer the question “how to cancel GoDaddy hosting“. However, we invite you to read on to learn everything about the details.
How to leave GoDaddy?
The fact that many customers are planning to leave this web host combined with the countless negative reviews, proves that the company has a bad reputation. Still, they manage to acquire new customers every time. They do this with highly persuasive advertising online, on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, sports events and much more. You see them everywhere, they are unstoppable. The web host is also notorious for its up-selling (selling more to existing customers) which is another reason that many customers want to leave them. In the meantime this tsunami of advertising and up-selling has made this provider the largest hosting and domain company in the world. You can initiate a GoDaddy cancellation by following the procedures as described in this article.
The services of this web hosting and domain name provider are bad for the following three reasons:
- Their web servers (powerful computers connected to the Internet and made suitable for hosting websites and applications) are overloaded with far too many websites. That’s called overselling. By doing this, the company earns much more money per web server than normal hosting companies. The consequences are slow loading sites and many technical problems, whether or not related to security.
- A substantial part of technical support personnel is located in poor countries. These people earn only a fraction compared to technical support employees in the US. In this way, the host can save a lot on the cost of salaries. The consequences of this are obvious: as a customer you regularly deal with technical support employees who are mainly trained to sell additional services or upgrades instead of solving technical problems.
- The provider works with outdated equipment. All the money that the web host can save in this way is put into advertising. Consequences for the hosting customers are quite serious in the form of a diverse array of technical flaws and imperfections.
How to cancel hosting on GoDaddy.
Have you created an account with this domain registration and hosting service that you no longer want to use and you also don’t want to keep your account data? If that’s the case you landed at the right place because I will explain how you can delete your account and data. I will also explain how to de-authorize the login service on several social media accounts if you are using these to log into your current account.
To leave them you will first need to delete all products you have with this company. Only after 24 hours of deletion will you be able to close your account. Please keep in mind that a cancellation of your Go Daddy products and account will make it impossible for your new web host to transfer your website to a new hosting account.
How to stop auto renewal on Godaddy?
- Log in to your account;
- Click “Account Settings” in the upper left corner;
- Click “Renewals & Billing”;
- Select the box on the product you want to delete;
- Click the black Cancel renewal button at the top of the table;
- In the window that opens, click on “Delete my product”;
- Select the box saying that you understand that you have to read the email to confirm the deletion, and click “Send email”;
- Login to your email and open the Go Daddy message;
- When you see the words “Are you sure?” or something similar, click “Yes, I want to delete!”;
- Confirm this by clicking “Delete product”;
- If your domain has “Ownership Protection”, you will need to confirm your identity after you click “Yes, delete this product”. In this case you will receive an SMS code to confirm your identity;
This image represents the above procedure:
How to remove credit card from GoDaddy?
After you cancel GoDaddy renewal, you can delete your credit card from the site by clicking on “Account Settings” again. Then go to “Payment Methods” and click “Edit” next to the credit card. Finally, click on “Delete payment method” and confirm.
This picture represents the above procedure:
How to cancel GoDaddy account completely?
Once you’ve deleted all the services you had, you must wait 24 hours before you can close your account. When the 24 hours have passed, log in to your account and do the following:
- Click “Account Settings” in the upper left corner;
- Go to “Contact Preferences”;
- Scroll down and click on “Edit” in the account section;
- Select the box saying that you understand that the action cannot be undone.
- Click on “Close Account” to confirm.
The following image represents above action:
If you have problems with closing your account or deleting a service, please contact support via the official chat by clicking on “Chat Now”.
If chat is not available, you can also call them from 8 am to 9 pm, Monday to Friday
Last step: de-authorize your GoDaddy login via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Google My Business.
If you are using a Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Google My Business account to login to your account then don’t forget to de-authorize these services.
How to delete GoDaddy account? A conclusion.
As we’ve seen, this company doesn’t make it easy to cancel. Aside from the fact that this web host makes it hard to walk away, leaving a hosting company is also a big psychological step, especially if you’ve been a customer for years. However, don’t let that stop you from looking for a better web host. I’m sure if you make a good choice like for example Linux Hosts Inc. (see the beginning of this article), you won’t regret it. On the contrary, it will be quite a relief especially once you get used to the new account. And, don’t forget that, once there are no more technical problems, and your website or application runs very smoothly as it should, you have much more time for SEO (search engine optimization), marketing, content writing and of course also for your family! Thanks for reading and good luck with your new web hosting and domain name partner!