Make money with online translation.
Have you ever thought about using your language talent? How about translating online and earning money from behind your laptop no matter where is the world you are?
An ideal source of income if you like to travel the world or work from home. I have already experienced several times that there is money to be made with online translation. I do not translate myself (I still have to work on my spelling sometimes), but I have already approached translators several times to translate web texts of my clients.
A multilingual website can be useful to attract more website visitors and open new markets. Just like translating a book can lead to a larger sales market.
I know for sure that translation makes good money. After all, it was not exactly cheap for my customers and Google Translate was not enough. So there are opportunities here if you want to make money with online translation.
How much do translators make?
You can translate several things online. Think of translating a manuscript for a book, web texts, blogs, articles, e-mails or even a business plan.
To get a price tag to work as an online translator is not that difficult. Most online translators charge a rate per word plus the start-up costs.
Often discounts are given when it comes to recurring assignments such as articles on a website that are regularly updated. In any case, you will have to translate qualitatively, otherwise you will be out quickly.
A translator earns between $ 8 and $ 12 cents per word. That may not seem like much, but of course that is entirely up to the assignment. A blog will only be 100 USD. But if you can translate an entire book, we are talking about several thousands of dollars. After all, the average novel is 55,000 words, and that’s a big job!
An online translator earns about USD 50 per hour. You can of course also ask more depending on the quality of your work and your work experience. But before that, you will have to find assignments and that is sometimes a ‘hell of a job’ in itself.
How do you get assignments as an online translator?
Making money translating over the internet starts with finding customers. You will have to look for companies that want to have books, web texts and articles translated. Or you have to make sure those people find you. But the latter probably only happens if you have been busy for a while and have left and right customers spreading your name and a website that already ranks quite well.
Before starting your career as an online translator, you should therefore focus on actively recruiting customers or promoting yourself on a platform. Below I discuss a few ways for this.
- Platform Gengo. One of the platforms to find customers for online translation is Gengo. You will be paid per translation you make. However, you must first be approved. It is important to them that your translations are qualitative so that they know that the customer gets value for his money. Interestingly, certain languages on this platform pay much better than others. For example, Chinese, Japanese, English and French are the best paid translations. For those who have mastered two of those languages, there will be many clients available.
- Platform Upwork. In principle, UpWork is a much broader platform for freelancers where you can find much more than just translation clients. Many jobs are placed on the platform. So you will occasionally see a translation job that you can respond to. Keep in mind that a translation portfolio can help you a lot. There are often several parties responding to translation requests and then you have to stand out a bit. Convenient about Upwork is that you can already see the translator salary in advance.
- Approach companies yourself. If you prefer to determine yourself for whom you translate and if you want to earn more money with online translation, it can be good to approach companies yourself. That way you can charge your own rates. For example, think of a website that you visited, but it was full of spelling mistakes or wrong translations. Then approach that company with a proposal and explain how you can help. You will not be the first to get customers this way.
- Be visible and approach your network. For almost all the services I offer myself, I always check my own network first. This would also apply to your translation work. So make sure it is visible that you are translating by creating a website with your portfolio. Think of it as your online profile. Tell people you meet and before you know the ball will start rolling. The more people know, the more likely someone is to think of you when they come across a translation job. So, Network = gold.
- Teaching online. You do not necessarily have to translate texts if you have language skills. If English is your native language you could also choose to teach English to people who want to learn this language. I regularly see people who earn their money that way. They teach online to students in Taiwan, China and South Korea.
- Find translation jobs on one of the many websites that are available for this purpose. Actually, there are numerous websites where you can find translation jobs. That’s why I thought, you might find it useful if I list it for you. Translation requests can be found at: Appen, Language Line, Verbalizelt, Text Master, Cyracom, Language Service Associates, Lion Bridge, Transparent Language, World Lingo, Pacific Interpreters, Verbal Ink, Rev and Pactera and more. Many of these sites offer more than just translation jobs. So it is sometimes a matter of searching for a suitable job.
The disadvantage of translating via the internet.
With the rise of artificial intelligence and its development in 2020, the future of online translation is somewhat uncertain. The correct translation of texts is becoming increasingly possible for software/computers. This process is progressing very fast, especially with the broader spoken languages.
As an online translator you will therefore have to deliver top quality work to make a difference with the translation of a computer and you will have to make that difference clear to your customers. For those who do their job well, it is one of the best ways to earn location independent money. Good luck!