What is email marketing?
What type of marketing is email marketing, for whom is it interesting, what are the benefits? And what challenges do you encounter when you use this form of marketing? E-mail marketing is a form of Direct Marketing in which a message is sent directly to the recipient. Think of a brochure that you send to a relationship by mail or a relationship you contact by phone. With email marketing you use internet to get your message across. Organizations and companies send emails to interested parties or customers. In these emails you will find, for example, news, offers, purchase confirmations or a customer satisfaction survey. The best known example of this marketing system is a newsletter in which an organization sends its latest news or offers.
The difference between email marketing and email marketing automation.
A term that you often see is email marketing automation. But what is the difference with email marketing Email marketing automation is a more advanced way of marketing via digital messages. In automation, automated messages are sent with the right message to the right person at the right time. This can be a message to congratulate you on your birthday, a message that your contract with a service provider must be renewed or that there is still a product in your shopping cart at a web shop. These types of emails you receive are based on data and situations that only apply to you. This is in contrast to a newsletter that is sent to 80,000 recipients. With automation, emails often become much more relevant to the recipient.
For whom is email marketing interesting?
E-mail marketing is interesting for any organization. No matter how big or small your organization is and whether you work for a B2C, B2B company, non-profit organization or government agency. You want to communicate with your target group and this is the way of marketing that is most suitable.
You can easily perform email marketing yourself.
You don’t need a specialized marketing agency to use this form of marketing. There are many marketers and communication professionals who do it themselves. There is a lot of software available for this form of commercial communication to make the task faster and easier. You can of course also have it carried out by a specialized agency, but it’s much cheaper if you do it yourself.
What are the benefits of email marketing?
Email and email marketing have many advantages. Below we list 10 advantages.
- The costs are low. It doesn’t cost a lot of money to send an email to large target groups. Compare it with direct mail, where you are dealing with printed matter, envelopes and stamps. With e-mail marketing you have much more control over the costs.
- Email marketing has a high ROI. Not only are the costs low, email marketing also has a good Return on Investment (ROI). The 2020 figures of Litmus give the ratio 1:42. This means that for every dollar you spend on email marketing, you get 42 back in earnings (source: litmus.com).
- Email is fast and widely used. You can send an email whenever you want and it will reach the target group within seconds. Many recipients open messages shortly after they are sent. Furthermore, almost everyone has an email address. Email still scores better than social media. Not everyone is on Facebook, Twitter or other social channels, but there are only few people without an email address.
- E-mail is an open channel and you are in charge of your data. Unlike social media platforms, the email channel is not owned by one company or managed by only one company. There are many providers where you can register an email address and with which you can receive and send emails. This is a major advantage over Facebook, for example. Facebook has been decreasing the visibility of commercial content for years, so that only a small part of your followers can see your messages. This is not possible with e-mail. Another advantage is that you are the boss of your contact list. For example, if Facebook changes its channel and no longer allows companies to show their products in any way, all the work you did will disappear including followers of your channel. This is not the case with email marketing. You have full control over the management and size of your mailing list. You are not dependent on other channels.
- Electronic mail is and remains popular. A number of major online channels have already disappeared, such as Hyves and MySpace. Other channels also fluctuate greatly in number of active users. What is very popular now may be over in a few years. This is not a danger for e-mail. It has been around since the first commercial email in 1978 and has grown tremendously ever since. Today it remains hugely popular.
- E-mail marketing is easily measurable. The channel is very measurable. If you use email marketing software to send your emails, you will gain insight into many different metrics. For example, the software registers the number of opened emails, the number of times a link was clicked, who unsubscribed, who registered for your event, etc. Do you use Google Analytics? Then you can track the behavior of the recipient on the website after they have clicked through. This makes it clear whether clicks have also been converted. For web shops it is also possible to see whether recipients have placed products in a shopping cart or have ordered something in response to an email. With all this data you can evaluate and improve your email marketing. You can see what works and what doesn’t.
- E-mail can be customized. You can make your target group as large or small as you want. You can message your entire audience, but you can also send several messages to smaller audiences. By simply segmenting on, for example, interests, gender or geographical data, you split up your target group and each ‘segment’ receives its ‘own’ message.
- Email is easily scalable. Email is also easily scalable. Whether you want to email 100 or 100,000 contacts, that does not matter for your software. This also applies to automated emails. For example, you create a one-time welcome campaign, which can be activated automatically 2,000 times, but also 50,000 times. And you don’t have to worry about that.
- E-mail is a personal channel. You can easily personalize an email with the information you have from a recipient. For example, by placing the first name in the salutation, placing offers based on gender or content based on the interests of the recipient. It are precisely these characteristics that make email marketing effective.
- People prefer to receive advertising by email. E-mail is the most popular channel for receiving advertising. This is evident from the National Email Survey 2020. No less than 69% indicate that they prefer to receive advertising via email. With 13%, our mailbox is the second favorite channel for receiving advertising. Facebook only scores 6% and Instagram 2%. The other 10% can be neglected due to the low numbers.
What are the disadvantages of email marketing?
In addition to the advantages of email marketing, it also has one drawback. When it comes to e-mail marketing, many people think of sending unwanted messages. Also called SPAM. Fortunately, there are strict regulations and good guidelines. For example, as a marketer you must always have permission to email a contact. Buying an email list with thousands of addresses is simply no longer allowed. Also, electronic messages must always be checked by SPAM checkers. A SPAM checker is software that detects blocked words and phrases so that they can be removed before the messages are sent.
Why should you use marketing through email?
As you have read, there are numerous benefits of including email marketing in your marketing mix. It is of course not mandatory to use it, but, actually it should not be missing in your marketing mix. Digital mail is powerful and very effective. It is a good marketing and communication tool to get in direct contact with your target group and to keep them interested in your organization. You can easily communicate with your target group in a very targeted way and even adjust your message up to a detailed personal level, if desired.