Short Answer (quick read):
The question “dedicated web hosting pros and cons” can be answered by taking a quick look at this system. So, here we go:
Disadvantages of dedicated hosting.
- It is more expensive than other hosting systems.
- You need technical knowledge about web servers and about how to install and configure software for servers. So you spend more time setting up, configuring and maintaining your server. This means that there is less time for content writing, design of your website, marketing and SEO (search engine optimization).
- You are responsible and liable for security. If third parties suffer damage as a result of security holes in your server or software, you can be held liable.
- If there are technical problems, repairs can take a relatively long time.
- Less good for the environment (less efficient than virtual servers).
Advantages of dedicated hosting.
- You are your own boss and you have complete freedom to do whatever you want with the server as long as nothing illegal is done with it.
- You have root access. This means that your login is at the administrator level so you have full control over your server without any restrictions.
- Your server is not shared with others so the security is greater and you have access to the full resources which are the CPU (central processing unit), RAM (the memory) and web space.
- Much more computing power at your disposal than with shared plans or your own VPS.
- No nuisance from other users on the servers.
- Higher availability through better redundancy.
- Lower TTFB (Time to first byte is a metric for determining the responsiveness of servers) by customizing caches.
- More stability, reliability (uptime) and speed than with shared solutions.
- Having your own server allows you any customization of processing power, memory, storage space and software.
- Your server will have it’s own unique IP address.
- No overhead for buying or maintaining equipment.
Benefits and drawbacks of dedicated hosting from this wonderful Cloud hosting provider.
The many years that this web host has been my provider have taught me that their plans offer all the benefits as mentioned above. The same is valid for the above mentioned disadvantages. However there are 2 exceptions. As for the disadvantage that you need technical knowledge, my advice is to go for a managed package so this drawback can easily be eliminated. This simultaneously eliminates drawback number 3 in the list above. Extra benefit: The web servers of this company are in the Cloud. This practically eliminates downtime.
PS. By the way, I use this Cloud Hosting Service myself on a daily basis and I love it!
Hopefully this summary was good enough to explain the advantages and disadvantages of dedicated web hosting. However, we invite you to read on to learn everything about the details.
Advantages and disadvantages of a dedicated server.
When you’re busy with a web project, one of the most important decisions is the choice of service. There are many providers on the market offering different hosting options. A shared plan is the most used service since it’s the one that offers the lowest prices and its features cover the needs of most websites. However, sometimes it is not the most appropriate system for projects that need greater capacity and more configuration options. In such a case it’s time to look at the benefits of dedicated server.
What is a dedicated server?
It’s a computer used by only one customer to host websites, applications or other web projects. This client has the possibility of configuring the web server according to his needs.
Dedicated servers are usually installed in data centers, with the physical care of the equipment and access to the network being the responsibility of the service provider.
Characteristics of a dedicated server.
The main characteristics are:
- The machines are usually located in data centers and are single-tenant.
- A dedicated machine provides high speeds, has a large processing power, combined with maximum memory and storage space.
- The machine is taken care of by always available specialized technicians working for the data center and/or the service provider.
Advantages and disadvantages of dedicated web hosting.
- Control. You’ll get the highest degree of configuration options. Further, the installed applications and other software as well as the operating system, can be chosen by you, thus granting you more control over the features than with other types of hosting.
- Availability of all resources. The main benefits of dedicated hosting are that all the resources of the machine are available to you. Available resources include storage space, memory, processing power, and the rate at which it can transfer data.
- Increased security. The exclusivity offered is related to an increase in security by not sharing any resource with other clients.
- Vertical scalability. If necessary, this type of service can increase resources, for example, by installing a new hard disk or increasing RAM.
Disadvantages of dedicated hosting server.
- High price. Without a doubt, the main disadvantage of this type of service is its high cost, especially when compared to other options such as shared, semi-dedicated and VPS solutions. This is due to the fact that all the maintenance costs are for a single client
- More complex to manage. With it is necessary to have a good knowledge of server management. Think of security optimization, installation of operating systems and software, file and directory management, and other functions that only a system administration professional is capable of performing. This is the reason why many companies offer managed services for their dedicated offers. This means that a company that has its own server, (whether on premise or in a data center), hires the provider for maintenance and administration (total or partial). This solution is interesting in cases where having a technical team in the company is not feasible or impossible.
- Slower and less options for scalability than VPS. Making changes to a dedicated machine such as a new hard disk or increasing the RAM costs time and money.
- Slower solution of possible technical failures compared to VPS services.
When is dedicated used?
With increased data traffic on certain types of websites it can occur that ordinary web hosting options where people share a server with others are no longer sufficient. Such a company may require more disk space, bandwidth, RAM and security measures and can have more specific requirements. A dedicated plan is the solution for these customers.
There are two types of projects where a dedicated server is the best option:
Large flow of web traffic.
Projects that generate large amounts of web traffic and information flows will benefit from using a dedicated package. A good example of this are very busy online shopping or auction sites in need of speedy website loading times and without any downtime.
Some web projects require special configurations or specific software installations in order to function properly. In the cases that these options are not available, or are not compatible with shared systems or other solutions, a dedicated package will be the best solution.
Dedicated vs VPS.
- The main reason why a company prefers the dedicated solution over VPS is the fact that VPS is basically shared. After all, the web computer is shared with others and, in case of cheap VPS offers, sometimes hundreds of customers can be put on one and the same VPS machine. This automatically means that there is a security risk. After all, if something goes wrong with one of the other customers, such as spamming, Dos attacks or hacking, it can also adversely affect your own VPS.
- On the other hand, a virtual solution has the advantage that its scalability is better for the simple reason that it works much faster. Think of increasing the RAM for example or improving the CPU.
- Another advantage of VPS is that any technical problems can be solved in no time, something that can take a long time with dedicated solutions.
Cloud vs dedicated server.
- That is also a good comparison, especially now that all large companies are opting for the cloud. However, the answer is the same again: cloud hosting is a shared system! You share the cloud with very large numbers of other customers. However, it is true that in this case there is less security risk because it concerns virtual servers. These virtual servers are strictly separated from each other, so the security risk is smaller than with shared machines. However, let’s not forget that with dedicated packages this is a lot better for the simple reason that, if configured properly, these risks are completely eliminated, something that is not possible with cloud platforms.
- In addition, we must not forget that, in the case of the cloud, your web project is hosted by large numbers of data centers located all over the world. And, you have no influence on what happens in those data centers unlike with dedicated systems where you have your own server in only one specific data center or on your own premises.
- And then, finally, another strong argument in favor of the dedicated solution is that you have all the power of configuring your own web server, while the configuration options in the cloud are much more limited.
Dedicated web hosting pros and cons – a conclusion.
As you have read, there are many pros and cons of dedicated hosting. The main advantage is the freedom you have. The most obvious drawback is the high price. Taking the latter into account, we can consider the plans of Linux Hosts Inc. (see the start of this article) as a good choice. These plans are from $36.67 a month and you have all the advantages of top quality dedicated servers. Or you opt for the semi-dedicated plans starting at $16.67. They also have very interesting VPS offers that are much cheaper (from $6.50 a month). Scroll up to the start of this article and click the link. Thanks for reading and good luck!